- Oracle VM: No such file or directory. Is xend running? December 31, 2013
I had this error a few days ago after upgrading one of my VM Servers to 3.2.6. This might help if you run into the same issue.
- Installing Database 12c – HOWTO August 18, 2013
Check out my new HOWTO on installing Database 12c on Oracle Linux 6 VM with VirtualBox. The full text is available here.
- Oracle feeds reader June 6, 2013
I’ve setup a ‘river of news’ feeds reader to aggregate posts from the Oracle blogs I follow in a single place. It is publicly available but I am still testing it. I’ll be adding more sources soon and I might have change some aspects of the appearance too. If you want to check it out go to planet.manchev.org.
- Row chaing and row migration June 1, 2013
I new article on row chaining and row migration. The full text is available here.
- How to replace database disks on-line September 8, 2012
I added a short HOWTO on replacing database disks online (via ASM). The full text is available here.
- Site updated August 26, 2012
I am introducing a few cosmetic changes to the site, just to give it a more fresh look and feel. I did some testing and everything looks OK for the moment, but should you encounter any issue, please let me know.
- Device persistence for ASM disks August 11, 2012
I wrote a short, step by step guide on configuring device persistence for ASM on Oracle Linux 6. The full text is available here.
- HOWTO on Oracle Restart March 20, 2012
I wrote a quick tutorial on using Oracle Restart for 11gR2 databases. The full text is available here.
- A failover database using Oracle Database 11g Standard Edition and File Watchers January 10, 2012
A wrote a HOWTO on building a failover database using Database Standard Edition at both ends and using file watchers to detect new archivelogs. The full text is available here.
- List of parameter changes in Oracle Database 11g December 6, 2011
I created a list of all instance parameter changes introduced in 11g. It includes all parameters introduced or announced deprecated/obsolete in 11.1,22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52. The full list is available here.
- Software RAID and LVM configurations November 25, 2011
- Oracle Database Upgrade to 11gR2 November 23, 2011
Oracle is delivering an one hour, free webcast on upgrading to 11gR2. The webcast is scheduled for November 30 at 9:00 AM CET. More details are available at oracle.com.
- Building defensive perimeter with Oracle Database Firewall November 19, 2011
- Oracle Day 2011 – Sofia November 8, 2011
I will be speaking in the Oracle Core Technology track at Oracle Day 2011 – Sofia (10th Nov 2011). More details on the event are available here [oracle.com].
- Tutorial on Logical Volume Manager November 6, 2011
I wrote an introduction/detailed tutorial on LVM with Oracle Linux. The full text is available here.
- Installing Enterprise Linux 6 in a virtual machine October 23, 2011
I just added a quick HOWTO on installing Oracle Enterprise Linux 6 in a VMware Workstation 8 virtual machine. The article is available here.
- BGOUG autumn conference 2011 October 3, 2011
I will be speaking at the Bulgarian Oracle User Group that will take place from 18th to 20th of November in Hisarya, Bulgaria. The topic of my presentation/live demo is Building defensive perimeter with Oracle Database Firewall. More details are available at the BGOUG site.
- Live Webcast : Oracle SPARC SuperCluster announcement September 24, 2011
Oracle reveals the SPARC SuperCluster T4-4. It will be presented by Larry Ellison and John Fowler. The webcast is scheduled for Monday, September 26, 2011
1 p.m. – 2 p.m. PT. You can register here [oracle.com]
- Article on GoldenGate August 31, 2011
My article Replicating Transactions Between Microsoft SQL Server and Oracle Database Using Oracle GoldenGate is now available at OTN. It is a step-by-step tutorial on how to build a simple on-line replication between SQL Server 2008 and Oracle Database 11gR2.
Update from September 16, 2001: Kim Prisk sent me an e-mail pointing out that change data capture will not work with SQL Server 2008 Standard Edition. This is something that I missed to mention in the article. Here is the error message hit by Kim:
ODBC error: SQLSTATE 37000 native database error 22988. [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]This instance of SQL Server is the Standard Edition. Change data capture is only available in the Enterprise, Developer, and Enterprise Evaluation editions.
All that are interested should keep in mind that GG 11gR1 is certified for the following SQL Server editions:
- SQL Server 2000/2005: Enterprise and Standard Edition
- SQL Server 2008: Enterprise (capture or delivery) or Standard Edition (delivery only)
- SQL Server 2008 R2: Enterprise (capture or delivery) or Standard Edition (delivery only)
Update from September 22, 2001: More findings from Kim:
A couple of other issues that I have found that you or others might find helpful:
1. If you use the ‘sql server’ driver in the ODBC connection, the tcp/ip protocol under the ‘SQL Native Client 10.0 Configuration’ must be enabled. It was not enabled by default during the sql server installation (sql server developer 2008).
2. When I executed the ‘ADD TRANDATA HRSCHEMA.EMP’ command, I got an error:
ODBC error: SQLSTATE 37000 native database error 22830. [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Could not update the metadata that indicates database EMP is enabled for Change Data Capture. The failure occurred when executing the command 'SetCDCTracked (Value = 1)'. The error returned was 15404: 'Could not obtain information about Windows NT group/user 'my domain\my userid', error code 0x6e.'. Use the action and error to determine the cause of the failure and resubmit the requst.
I was able to fix this by running the following script in a sql window opened against emp:
use EMP go exec sp_changedbowner 'sa'
I now have succeeded, and see the message “supplemental log data is enabled for table hrschema.emp” when I run the ‘ADD TRANDATA HRSCHEMA.EMP’statement.
- Free webcast on Virtualization August 18, 2011
Oracle is conducting a free webcast on virtualization (featuring Wim Coekaerts). The webcast is scheduled for August 23, 2011. More details are available here.